Friday, January 6, 2012

New Years Eve

Written on January 3rd, 2011

This year’s New Years Eve was a fun event all around. Our Christmas group went up to El Nido to visit another volunteer’s site and house. It was really really nice. Our activities included island hopping in beautiful water, SCUBA Diving (which admittedly wasn’t as great as Apo Island) and TONS of fireworks. No. Seriously. It was what I would expect a warzone to be like. The streets were dark and smoky from the fireworks. You couldn’t walk anywhere without having to thoroughly search the area for a lit fuse, children ran screaming in every direction, and even then you had the occasional lit firecracker fly your way. The climactic event of the night was when we were all sitting on some steps on the beach waiting for the countdown to end. These two men came up with a string of firecrackers….no big deal. And by string I mean a four-foot long string connected together…which they lit…still no big deal. And then it happened… some tourists sitting next to us had a big box of fireworks that they lit… you know the ones I’m talking about. About the size of a small moving box, they shoot lights up into the air about fifteen feet and go on for 3-4 minutes…well they lit that ( in front of the crowded restaurant where they were sitting) and it went off….and then fell….and starting shooting EVERYWHERE! Into the restaurant, into the beach, and most especially at us. Poor Matt actually was hit dead on by one of the lights; luckily he wasn’t hurt at all.

Now I’m sitting the airport writing this and looking up activities for when my mom comes to visit.

ALSO! I’ve decided to move into a place of my own. Being at Leah’s house just reminded me that I really do love having my own independence and I’ve been missing it. Now that I have Gaya I have a legitimate excuse to tell my host family I want to move out. I didn’t realize how unhappy I was living with my host family until I started thinking about what I would need to get for the house and it made me extremely happy. Weird huh?

Song of the Day: La-Da-Di by the Beatles.

No comments:

Post a Comment